Monday, February 2, 2009

I love being a mother

Disclaimer: Normally I am all about pictures, but this morning I just felt like writing, so if you're in the mood, go ahead and read, if not, skip down to pictures below.

Man, it's fun having a one year old. Jayci is getting so much easier these days, and sometimes I can even forget I'm a mom for a few minutes... something I wouldn't have dreamed of 1 year ago. (I know, you are probably all thinking, just wait a few years, it gets harder). But I'm sure all you mothers can relate. One child, over a year old, just you and him/her, hanging out all day, taking naps when they do, it's a great life. At times you can even think, "hmmm... a little time to do nothing at all, I'm even starting to feel a little bored, something I almost forgot existed". I guess that's why mothers think, I need to mix it up a little, have another baby. And then the chaos starts all over again. Am I right? I've been having these feeling lately too... "oh another baby would be so fun, seeing them for the first time, taking them home and having this sweet little bundle to cuddle, etc". But then I'm around babies, and remember Jayci as an infant. Waking up every three hours to eat, taking 10 minute naps here and there, going through a stage of screaming almost all day for 3 weeks straight, me, literally running around the house with her in my arms, which was the only way I could get her to stop crying, handing her off to others who say, "Here, I'll take her", as if they're thinking, "she's a new mother, I'm sure she could use a little help calming her baby down", only to give her back to me 5 minutes later, screaming much harder, "Sorry", is all they can think to say. One day I called my mom, an hour away, asking her to come over, "I just need someone to be here." Because I was feeling so isolated and alone.

So, like I said previously, I love being a mother! And do I want another soon? Yes! Am I crazy? I have always told Chad I want 7. Mostly it's just a way of shooting high so I have at least 5 or so, but I still think having a large family would be fun, until I think of screaming babies, and messes, and meals... :) Maybe you moms with more than one child could give me a little insight into being a mother of two (or three or ten), and tell me how great it is. Then I can think about extending my family. Until then, I think I will enjoy being a mother of one. Isn't it great?

4 comments:

Allie said...

Oh Jenni!
I remember the days when it was just me and McKinley. (I actually cried all the way to the hospital when my water broke with Taitan) But now that Taitan is getting older and easier, the kids are great together! I would never want to go back to having it be just Kinley and me. I can get so much more done because they play with each other and laugh. It honestly makes great moments as a couple and a mom to see your kids enjoying each other and getting along. Don't get me wrong, it is hard. But I would never have it any other way. Being a mom is the hardest yet most rewarding job ever. And that is for any mom, moms of 1, moms of 5, and moms of 10.

Generational stitcher said...

Enjoy where you are, but know when it's time to go on. Not all babies will cry like that. My #1 didn't, #2 did. 3 was just fickle 4 and 5 were/are easy. I like having my kids close, although it's not easy when they are little. Now that they are 3,4,5,and 6, they take care of each other and themselves most of the time. They even take care of Alexa when I let them, but I am selfish, I like having my baby to myself. It's the best in my opinion. There are hard things about every age, some kids are worse then others about them, but it goes by SO fast. Balancing it all out takes trial and error...but eventually it comes together as you add another one. It's still fun and rewarding, since no stage lasts, neither do the bad things :)

Unknown said...

Hey Jeni, this is Rachael, your USU roommate that used to crawl around on the floor. It's been awhile, eh. I found your blog through Kate's and it's so fun to see pictures of your cute family! I love your post about being a mom. I'm preggo and pretty nervous about the whole thing, so I love hearing about the positive aspects of motherhood. Anywho - glad I found you. Feel free to check out our blog and bushmanhaps.wordpress.com.

kallina said...

Hey Jen, you're an awesome mom from what I can tell (of course, you're just like Mom so how could you not be). I don't know how you can be bored with Jayci around. I love just watching her walk around - she's so flippin cute! (I'm sure you didn't mean it like that anyway). Good luck with number 2! Joel